Carbon monoxide is a gas you cannot see, taste, or smell.  According to the ready.gov, an average of 430 Americans die each year from unintentional carbon monoxide (CO) poisonings.  Often times, it is the result of faulty improperly used or vented consumer products.

Recently, we were on vacation when at 1:30 am (or so I’m told), the Carbon Monoxide detectors went off. Luckily, the weather was warm and the windows were open so we had no immediate fear.  We immediately contacted our landlord who immediately replaced the unit.  A good reminder to replace these when you replace your smoke detectors.

There are precautions you can take.

Reduce the chance of CO exposure by performing regular maintenance on equipment and appliances that can produce CO.  Install carbon monoxide detectors on every level of the home, including outside all of the bedrooms.

Consider having all fuel burning heating equipment and chimneys serviced annually by a professional.  Use portable generators only in well-vented areas away from doors, windows, vents and any other openings to prevent fumes from entering the home. 

CO

Thanks to Servpro of the North Fork for this information.